Bulletins, Courses and Information for your attention
On this page you will find information about upcoming courses and general information that will be of use for you to know. If there are any courses that you are interested in applying to please either read in the body of the course advertisement or select the flyer/programme at the bottom of the page to find out more information on how to apply.
Near Peer Mentoring: Webinar Q&A for FY2
In August 2021, Yorkshire and Humber Foundation School have opened up a new Mentoring Scheme. The aim of this scheme is for new FY1s in need of advice/ guidance can be matched to an FY2 'mentor' who can provide the support needed.
The Foundation School Director recently held a webinar for FY2's interested in becoming a mentor. The webinar concluded with a Q&A session, a recording of which will be uploaded for viewing shortly.
Further information on the Mentoring Programme, for both FY1s and FY2s can be found on the SuppoRTT page.
AMEE - EJD Junior Doctors Awards
The European Junior Doctors Association (EJD) is an European medical organisation, representing over 300.000 Junior Doctors all over Europe. The EJD’s objectives include safeguarding the interests of the Junior Doctors in Europe, improving relations between its member organizations and narrowing the gap between the Junior Doctors all over Europe. More information for EJD can be found in the website www.juniordoctors.eu. AMEE - An International Association for Medical Education promotes international excellence in education in the healthcare professions across the continuum of undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education. AMEE, working with other organisations, supports teachers and institutions in their current educational activities and in the development of new approaches to curriculum planning, teaching and learning methods, assessment techniques and educational management, in response to advances in medicine, changes in healthcare delivery and patient demands and new educational thinking and techniques. More information for AMEE can be found in the website www.amee.org. Recognizing the important role of Junior Doctors in the field of medical education, EJD and AMEE have developed a continuous collaboration over the last years, coordinating activities and initiatives together. One of these initiatives are the AMEE Junior Doctors Awards, that aim to support the efforts of junior doctors in the field of medical education. There are 2 available awards: • AMEE - EJD Junior Doctor Award on Leadership on Patient Safety • AMEE - EJD Junior Doctor Award on Research on Medical Education More information for the awards can be found at the following sections. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
BSMD Video Prize for Foundation Trainees
The British Society of Medical Dermatology (BSMD) is launching a new prize for U.K. Foundation Doctors for a patient education video on a topic related to Medical Dermatology. Prizes include a Medical Dermatology Textbook, as well as the opportunity for a credited video on the official BSMD YouTube channel for the winners.
The video must not exceed 5 minutes. A successful video entry would be accessible to an audience of patients or carers via our YouTube site, with information delivered in a patient-centred fashion. The video could be focussed on understanding the condition or on help with an aspect of treatment, with signposting for further information e.g. British Association of Dermatologists information website or patient information leaflets.
For more information, see https://www.bsmd.org.uk/video-prize
Dear Foundation Doctors,
I'm one of the Foundation TPDs within the Yorkshire and Humber region.
As part of an ongoing project, I would like to understand more about fatigue and how this affects you as junior doctors and in turn relates to the safety of the care that we give to our patients.
If you wouldn't mind filling in this very short survey which will take 3 minutes to complete.
We are looking to present the results at a future foundation educational event.
Thanks in advance for your help
Dr Will Peat
Consultant Anaesthetics and Intensive Care Harrogate Hospital
Core Anaesthetics Training Interview Course
10th January 2022
Royal College of Anesthetics endorsed Core Anesthetics Training Intervew Course.
Now in its 5th year of running
• Course run by nationally top-ranked ST3 candidate and ACF
• Talks from anaesthetists who sit on the interview panel **INCLUDING HEAD OF LONDON SCHOOL OF ANAESTHESIA**
• One-on-one real-time mock interviews panelled by top scoring CT1/CT2 candidates – reflecting the new format for 2022 entry
• New MSRA and interview structure explained with specific DOs and DON’Ts
• Instant verbal and post-course written feedback • Detailed Q&A session
• Talks about the services and careers advice the RCoA can offer you from Day
Please email for booking and payment details: email@example.com
For further details, visit www.coreanaestheticsinterviews.com
To increase awareness and interest in Allergy as a specialty; BSACI is offering up to 30 scholarships for 2nd yr Foundation / Internal Medicine trainees to attend the BSACI Annual Conference in Harrogate from 7th-9th October 2021. We hope you are able to disseminate this information to trainees in your deanery.
Information about the meeting and scholarships can be found at https://bsacimeeting.org/ abstract-awards-travel/travel-fellowships
Details of the award:
1. Open to all Foundation year 2, Internal Medicine and paediatric trainees with an interest in or considering a career in Allergy.
2. Up to £550 to cover conference fees, hotel accommodation and travel expenses.
3. The application involves supplying a 300-word statement detailing why the applicant would benefit from this scholarship with a supporting letter from their current supervisor.
4. Abstract submission for the conference is encouraged but is not a requirement.
5. Deadline for submissions is Friday 23rd July 2021.
Attached is a flyer detailing the scheme and how to apply. Please can you email this to trainees in your deanery.
If you or any of your colleagues have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0207 501 3910.
Please note previous recipients are not eligible to apply.
Core Surgical Training Interview Preparation Course - Sunday 24th October 2021
- Find out about the 2022 CST application process and timeline
- How to boost portfolio score
- Detailed interactive clinical and management station scenarios
- Guidance on specific techniques to score highly in all stations
- Top tips from current core surgical trainees and interactive Q&A session
This is a free interactive online course. Donations possible through Eventbrite.
If you are interested, please register using the following link where you can also find a donation option: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/core-surgical-training-interview-preparation-course-tickets-169660209253?aff=ebdsoporgprofile
Path to Success Recruitment Event - 6th November 2021
“Path to Success” will take place virtually again this year on the 6th November, hosted by HEE NE, RCPath and the ACP.
Aimed at Foundation, CT/IMT doctors and medical students, this one day free event is a must for anyone considering a career in Haematology, Infection, Histopathology, Chemical Pathology or Immunology.
- Online Pathology Battle – laboratory stations in Haematology, Microbiology/Virology, Histopathology, Chemical Pathology/Metabolic Medicine and Immunology to solve the clinical case.
- Key Note Talk – Dr Mike Osborn, President of RCPath
- Applications advice - tips on applications and interviews for the pathology specialties from our trainees
- Poster competition with prize sponsored by ACP
Sat 6th November 9am -2pm Virtual Event
Free registration: https://fast.ncl.ac.uk/training/book/2029/
For more Information contact: Joanne.O'Brien@hee.nhs.uk