Yorkshire and the Humber Foundation School (YHFS) is one Foundation School/Unit of Application with three Locality Schemes or Groups (EY/SY/WY). YHFS run a Group matching process for the allocation of Foundation programmes. For these, you will need to preference:
- The Unit of Application (YHFS)
- The Group - one of the three Locality Schemes in YHFS (EY/WY/SY)
- The individual programmes for that Locality Scheme or Group
How do I apply?
The UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) organise and run the national application system for Foundation Programmes using the online Oriel system.
Application is accessed via the UKFPO’s website. This website is also a valuable source of information for all things Foundation. Important notes about the application process:
- Enrolment and application take place from the Autumn preceding the August rotation start date.
- Full details of the process are available on the UKFPO website from June / July each year, with an Applicant’s Handbook made available at the beginning of the enrolment period.
- Non-UK graduates or any graduate who has been out of practice for 2 years must apply via the UKFPO Eligibility Office in the preceding July / August.
- Applicants have the option to link their application with a partner / friend to ensure they are placed in the same Foundation School (but not necessarily the same Trust), based on the lowest scoring applicant.
- Applicants who meet the criteria for Pre- Allocation may apply to a specific Foundation School via their Medical School or the UKFPO Eligibility Office.
- Applications for Specialised Foundation programmes (SFP) are hosted on the same application system. Please see the section on SFP recruitment for further information.
- Applications for Foundation Priority Programmes (FPP) are also made via this application process
How am I allocated to a Unit of Application (UoA)?
All applicants are asked to rank the 18 UoAs in order of preference. Candidates are allocated based on Preference Informed Allocation (PIA). Please see the Applicants presentation and guide on the UKFPO website for further information.
How am I allocated to a Group?
YHFS run a "Group matching scheme". Once you have been allocated to a UoA, you will then be asked to preference one of the three Locality Schemes or Groups in YHFS:
Candidates are allocated to a group based on their PIA
How am I allocated to a Programme?
Once you have been allocated to a "Group" you will be asked to rank the programmes in your allocated 'Group' in order of preference. Please preference as many programmes as possible in order to be most likely to be allocated to a programme you want. These are two year linked programmes so you will know where you will be based for the two years of your Foundation Programme. YHFS do not permit trainees to 'swap' posts once allocated to a programme.
Please note: Programmes and specialities are always subject to change for a variety of reasons at any time in the process. This could be for supervision, quality and/or service change issues. We do try to minimise the number of changes as best we can but with programmes uploaded to the system a year ahead of the programme starting, things do change. We will inform candidates of any changes to their allocated programme as soon as we possibly can
For key dates see the Applicants Handbook available on the UKFPO website
For FAQs, please see our new FAQ section.