Workforce, training and education
Yorkshire and Humber

Study Leave

The HEE Study leave process has recently been updated 



  1. You are allowed 30 days per year to attend educational activities
  2. You will only be funded to attend courses/activities required for Curriculum Delivery
  3. There are recommended courses for each stage of training.
  4. You must apply in advance according to the requirements of your local Post Graduate centre (usually 6-8 weeks). Applications less than 6 weeks in advance may be rejected when you try to claim the money back


Am I entitled to Study Leave for exam preparation?

This is decided at local hospital level. Enquire directly with your College Tutor.

How do I apply for leave for required courses? How do I request reimbursement?

The procedure for applying for "study leave" for required courses, including the reimbursement of costs is available through the generic HEE pages HERE

Can I be funded to do a course on this list outside Health Education England - Yorkshire and the Humber?

Only if it cannot be delivered in our Deanery

Can I be funded to do a course not on this list?

Possibly, the school has a responsibility to deliver the curriculum as set by the RCoA. Where there is an occasional underspend in the budget, the Head of School can allocate additional funding. Apply directly to Dr Horn or Dr Jackson

Do I have a personal annual budget for study leave?

No, the curriculum delivery budget is not calculated on a per-capita basis.

What has happened to the Final Fellowship exam course?

As it was not well attended and many people did not find it useful it has been discontinued. However, if you need support with your exam and want to attend an external course you may request funding by applying to Dr Horn or Dr Jackson

I have a sub-specialty interest, can I have funding for courses not on this list?

Possibly, the school is working with the TPDs to agree recommended courses for sub-specialty trainees i.e. ICM, pain, cardiac, neuro, paeds. Apply directly to Dr Horn or Dr Jackson

I wish to present a poster presentation overseas. Can this be funded?

No, the Deanery does not fund overseas courses/conferences. If the presentation is original research that is a free paper or likewise, there is a chance to obtain a bursary. However, the total cost cannot be funded. Apply to Dr Horn or Dr Jackson

I have been invited to become an ATLS/APLS/ALS Instructor? Is the Instructor course funded?

This will be decided on a case-by-case basis for post-Primary FRCA trainees. Please seek TPD/HoS approval BEFORE paying any course fees as reimbursement is not guaranteed.

Trainee educational development time

The concept of trainee educational development time has developed and been included in the new curriculum. Further info can be found on the RCoA link below: