Workforce, training and education
Yorkshire and Humber

Study Leave


Health Education England working across Yorkshire and the Humber (HEE YH) and the School of Paediatrics encourages and enables trainees to obtain their competencies in general paediatrics and in their chosen sub speciality.

Approved Courses:

We have the following excellent structured day release teaching programmes across HEE YH:

ST1-3: STEPP teaching

ST4-5: Diploma in Child Health

ST6-8: SPRAT (voluntary generic skills teaching programme)

All HEE YH generic skills courses (free access) are listed here.

In addition, study leave that is mapped to the RCPCH curriculum is funded with an expectation that trainees will apply for mandatory courses within the region only. The school will fund all approved courses. 

List of approved courses and guidance.


Non-Approved Courses:

(those not on the list and outside UK study leave):

Please submit evidence as above but these will need additional information with the email sent:

  • Explanation from trainee as to why this leave is relevant for their development needs
  • Educational supervisor support for the study leave
  • Course/ Conference programme

Note: Only prospective applications will be accepted (6 weeks before) and a copy of the application needs to be sent to the employing medical education centre for information.


All Other courses:

Please see the guidance document for details on how the process for obtaining approval for study leave.

If you have any questions, please contact your location TPD or Dr Karin Schwarz (


Overseas Courses/Conferences:

Approval for this is only given at the discretion of the Head of School. If you wish to request overseas study leave, please follow the study leave process as normal, approval from the Head of School will be sought on your behalf.


Total entitlement:

A maximum of 30 days per annum as defined within national Terms and Conditions.

Note: Mandatory training is included within this and any additional study leave (including private study time) needs to be agreed locally but should be granted if required for training and is within the 30 days per annum entitlement.

Please also check the generic HEE Curriculum Delivery Policy for further details.