Psychiatry training across Yorkshire and the Humber has 10 organisations which trainees can be based at across the region.
Click on the below accordions to learn a little more about each organisation.
Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust (BDCFT) is a provider of award-winning mental health, learning disabilities and community health services to a growing population of 580,000 people across a diverse district comprising urban and rural areas within Bradford, Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven localities. The population is one of the most multicultural in Britain with over 100 languages.
Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust is part of the West Yorkshire Core Psychiatry rotation offering wide experience of general adult psychiatry and sub-specialities, older adults psychiatry, intellectual disability psychiatry, forensic psychiatry and psychotherapy. Training is provided in a variety of settings including Lynfield Mount Hospital, Airedale Centre for Mental Health, and 5 community settings. The trust is also part of the North, East and West Yorkshire Specialty Training rotations.
There are opportunities to get involved in the ‘Care Trust Way’ approach, which is a people focussed and coaching driven quality improvement methodology to engage and empower staff, create an honest, inclusive and open culture supporting purposeful conversations, enhance staff development, and improve the care delivered to service users.
There are opportunities to be involved in teaching medical students. The Trust currently provides psychiatry placements to over 60 fourth year medical students from the University of Leeds. There has been excellent feedback and recognition from Leeds Medical School in the Trust providing high quality teaching and placements.
In 2019-20, Dr M Khan, Associate Medical Director for Undergraduate Teaching and Training, was awarded the Clinical Teaching Excellence Award (Individual), and the Undergraduate Medical Education Team were awarded Clinical Teaching Excellence Team Award by the University of Leeds.
Bradford District Care Foundation Trust has an active and vibrant Research and Development department, offering support to about 30 NIHR Portfolio research projects at any one time.
Sarfaraz Shora, Director of Medical Education
Leeds York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust is proud to host high quality placements in psychiatry for the Yorkshire and Humber Foundation School and School of Psychiatry. We value our reputation as an excellent teaching organisation as evidenced repeatedly through GMC training survey results, being a HEE Better Training Better Care centre and hosting multiple winners of the School’s Core and Higher Trainee in Psychiatry of the Year awards. Due to our large catchment area, we have many GMC Clinical Supervisors for enabling core competencies in Neurodevelopmental, General Adult and Older Peoples’ Psychiatry. We also host placements in more specialist areas such as CAMHS PICU, Perinatal Psychiatry, Tertiary Centres for Eating Disorders, Psychological Medicine, Medical Psychotherapy and Adult ADHD. We have a very experienced medical education team, a vibrant junior doctor forum and, in collaboration with the University of Leeds, a fast-growing number of academic clinical fellows.
The Trust is able to offer a mix of rural and inner-city populations with rich experience in transcultural psychiatry. We also have an International Medical Graduate tutor who offers a regional IMG induction to living in the UK, working in the NHS and training in psychiatry in West Yorkshire.
If the above is not enough of a good reason to come and work with us, living in Leeds and York is just fantastic for work-life balance, wellbeing and quality of life, as put simply, it is the epicentre of ‘God’s Own County’.
Sharon Nightingale, Director of Medical Education
There is a very active Medical Education Team which co-ordinates undergraduate teaching with the Hull York Medical School (HYMS) and post graduate training. The weekly postgraduate teaching programme is held on Wednesday mornings in the Lecture Theatre at Trust HQ, on the Willerby Hill site and includes case conferences, critical reviews of academic papers and expert presentations from invited speakers. Protected time is given to the junior doctors to allow attendance.
The trust is the main training location in the East Yorkshire and North East Lincolnshire location, providing a variety of core and specialty placements.
We offer a well-co-ordinated psychotherapy training programme which includes case-based discussion (Balint) groups, short case (CBT) and psychodynamic long cases. The Psychotherapy Tutor oversees this aspect of training.
There are opportunities for trainees to participate in HYMS teaching and to undertake QIP.
All trainees have access to our DOCTOR TOOLBOX which is a useful induction App containing a plethora of helpful information to enable trainees to familiarise themselves with the Trust, processes and procedures, both prior to placement and during placement.
Junior doctor involvement and engagement is high on the agenda. The Training Committee occurs quarterly to ensure that College approved training is delivered to a high standard. The committee is chaired by the College Tutor, the membership also includes the TPD for Core Training and junior doctor representatives. In addition, there is a bi-monthly Medical Education Committee, chaired by the DME, which provides a governance framework for postgraduate and undergraduate medical education within the Trust. Junior doctor representation is integral to this committee. Doctors in training also organise their own regular informal meetings which are supported by the Medical Education Team.
For more information, with photographs about the Trust and Hull and the surrounding areas, please see our recruitment booklet below.
What does TEWV have to offer?
- We embrace and support a diverse and highly skilled medical workforce.
- We offer flexible job plans that enable colleagues to develop special interests such as medical education and research and development.
- We demonstrate strong clinical leadership throughout the organisation, with an award winning culture of service development and quality improvement.
- We achieved gold accreditation from the internationally recognised Investors in People, making us one of the top 2% of organisations assessed.
- We train students from four medical schools (Newcastle, Leeds, HYMS and the new School at Sunderland) and work innovatively with Universities throughout the North East and Yorkshire.
- Over many years we continuously rank very highly in the GMC Trainee & Trainer survey results.
- We are developing a research and development partnership with York University and have a thriving culture in research.
- We have an attractive relocation package, with affordable high quality housing and great schools.
- We have outstanding coastlines and countryside, with good transport links.
Why not come and see for yourself! Check out the videos on https://employers.bmj.com/tees-esk-wear
The Trust currently has a range of consultant opportunities across the different specialties. We are seeking to recruit high calibre doctors with ambition and potential to help us successfully lead the organisation. We have various supporting mechanisms in place to support you in your role so that you are able to acquire the skills and expertise you need to do your job well and to develop your career, get involved and contribute to decision making within the Trust and develop as leaders and managers.
More specifically, the Trust offers:
- Strong clinical leadership with excellent relationships between clinical leaders and managers
- A thriving research culture with flourishing academic departments based in the local universities
- A well-developed medical education faculty with the opportunity to train medical students from three medical schools
- An annual conference for our medical staff
- An opportunity to attend the Senior Medical Staff Committee taking place 4 times a year
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Continuous professional development (CPD) peer group
- Generous relocation package
- Valuing our staff - Clinical Excellence Awards
- Options for flexible and attractive job planning.
- Access to the Trust’s well-established appraisal system which is monitored by the Responsible Officer and the Trust Board. Support and training is also available through the Trust’s Revalidation Team to help you become acquainted with the appraisal process and system.
- Access to a mentor to provide support in your development in your first year of appointment. The Trust has a trained group of mentors for you to choose from.
- Favourable local agreements (on-call compensation, compensatory rest etc.)
Do get in touch and discuss the range of opportunities and we can outline what it’s like to work in one of the best mental health trusts in the country.