Since April 2006 dentists, who are not already on the National Performers List, have had to apply for a Performer Number from the Local Area Team of NHS England (NHSE). This includes dentists working as locums who are not already on the National Performers List.
Those dentists who do not have a Dental Foundation Training (Vocational Training) Certificate, or who have not completed an appropriate period of Foundation Training as defined in the Regulations, must be assessed by the Area Team in consultation with the LETB to decide whether the dentist can be admitted to the list based on having previous experience and training including NHS primary dental care.
Deaneries ceased to exist in 2013 and are now part of Health Education England's Local Education and Training Boards. PCTs also ceased to exist and in their place, NHS England (formally the NHS Commissioning Board) now manages a National Performers List.
To join this national performers list you are required to apply via a central NHSE system PCSE (CAPITA)
who work closely with local branches of NHS England, known as Area Teams.
The National Performers List website is a useful source of information and contains a postcode search tool, which allows you to easily identify the Area Team that covers the region in which you wish to work. The search results also provide contact details.
These Regulations state that:
A dentist will be exempt from requirement to undertake Foundation Training under para 31 (5) of the Performers List Regulations if:
a) He/she is a national of a member state of the European Economic Area other than the United Kingdom with a diploma recognised by the General Dental Council; or
b) He/she has practised in primary dental care for a period of at least two years in aggregate in either:
and part or all of that period must fall within the period of four years of the date of the dentist's application to the AT Performers List.
1. All dentists wishing to apply for Performers List Validation by Experience (PLVE) should look at the National Performers List application form, available for download via
The dentist applies to the Area Team or its agent for entry onto the relevant Area Team Performers List.
2. NHS England AT or its agent processes the application and informs HEEYH if the applicant is suitable for PLVE.
3. HEEYH convenes an assessment panel of three or if required, four members who consider the application.
4. The Dean for Postgraduate Dental Education HEEYH makes an educational recommendation and this will be sent to the AT
5. AT or its agent notifies dentist of decision
6. If a PLVE programme is required, the applicant will be notified and the proposed PLVE practice and the mentor will be required to submit a completed PLVE Mentor Application Form.
7. A mentor interview and practice visit may be required.
8. When the proposed PLVE practice has been approved, HEEYH will notify the AT or its agent so that the applicant can enter the Performers List as a ‘Performer-in-Training’ and the PLVE programme can commence.
9. Please note that HEEYH does not have funding to support this PLVE programme and the applicant or practice will be required to provide payment at the nationally agreed rate for PLVE.
10. If the proposed PLVE practice and/or the PLVE Mentor are not approved as suitable for supervised training, HEEYH will notify the AT or its agent so that alternative arrangements can be sought. The applicant will normally have to find another potential PLVE practice and/or Mentor. Charges will not be refunded.
During the PLVE year the applicant will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence.
You may also wish to refer to the fact-sheet 'Working and Postgraduate Training as a Dentist in the UK', produced by COPDEND.
Managing Performer Concerns Framework:
Please also note that any documentation submitted to Health Education England YH will not be returned.