The penultimate year assessment (PYA) is a daunting time. It is held the year before you will complete your training, ST6. This assessment is designed to identify any deficits in your training and allow time to achieve them prior to your final ARCP.
GIM will have a separate PYA to your parent specialty. Throughout your penultimate year it is advised to ensure that your eportfolio is up to date and that your assessments are complete in advance of your PYA.
Tips for a successful PYA
- Review the decision aid at the beginning of your ST6 and discuss with your educational supervisor how you plan to achieve it
- Self achieve and comment on the GIM curriculum – even if you aren’t competent, state why and how you plan to achieve your competency
- Ensure all certificates from training days are filed in the personal library – a well organised personal library will help in your assessment
- Be sure to add anonymised versions of coroner’s statements or incident statements to your library
- Update your CV – if you start early in the year you will have time to review and alter as needed
There is mandatory paperwork that must be completed and saved to your personal file for your PYA (they are included below but may be subject to change)
- Summary of Clinical Experience (SOCE) Form.doc
- Summary of Training calculator .xlsx
- PYA Report
- 5 minute presentation (an overview of your training)
This presentation should just summarise your training so far, identify any mandatory requirements that you feel still need to be met and can be used to highlight anything you are particularly proud of or to highlight any issues that you are experiencing/have experienced in achieving your training requirements.
The documents that you need to complete for your PYA can be found on the college website which can be accessed here.
Please remember that you will also need to complete an up to date Form R